Friday, March 12, 2010

Jandals and Togs



I've been wearing a lot of jandals (sandals) and togs (swim suits) lately as my mom and I have soaked our way through a few of Rotarua's thermal baths. The city, and half of New Zealand for that matter, lies on a very thin crust with lots of volcanic activity (in case you didn't already know that). Rotarua, therefore, smells like sulphur and has random holes that spew steaming hot water and mud. Why would you want to go there, you ask? Well, because you can drive from spa to spa and soak in the lovely mineral or mud baths. There are brochures all over town of naked women being painted (literally with a paint brush) with mud.
After winding our way out of Rotarua, we were headed to Taupo. Taupo is known for either extreme
sports or fishing for trout, the latter of which I have absolutely no interest in. Instead, my mom decided to book us on a Rapids Jet boat that goes screaming down the river at over 60 mph. This may not seem like much, but when you turn corners and the wind collapses one nostril so you feel like you are having an asthma attack, it is fast! You also go off jumps and land sideways so water not only finds its way down your ass crack and tit crack, it nearly deafens you. My mom claims that we went so fast she tore off a retina, but she seems to be doing just fine. And we both can hear, so we're happy!

After our adventures in Taupo, we were off to Napier. Napier was destroyed by an earthquake in 1931 and rebuilt as a great art deco city on the water (Hawke Bay). It also just so happens to be in wine country! Oh darn.

We strolled the streets to see some of the cool buildings and art, then headed out to the vineyards. Since I have been driving my mom around, or "Miss Daisy" as I like to call her, it was her turn to drive me around the wineries. We only managed to hit up four wineries, but some had up to 15 tastings! On the way home we managed to get lost about five times, crash into one curb and go into the wrong lane only once. Not too bad if you ask me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Photoshop Brushes Obsidian Dawn