Thursday, March 25, 2010

At Home in Blenheim

Now that I officially have a place to unpack my bags and no longer have to roll around a massive duffel bag, carry a backpack full of miscellaneous toiletries and booze and balance a few other sacks full of food, shoes, maps and a neck pillow, I AM HOME! Or at least I'd like to call it that for now (Seattle, you will always be my real home).

I scored a sweet living situation staying with the head winemaker and her boyfriend. He does the marketing and sales side, while she makes fabulous wines. I can't wait to pick their brains about both of their jobs, but I don't want to seem too annoying right from the get-go. Back at the lovely South Seattle Community College I've been leaning towards a certificate in Marketing and Sales because I've decided there are too many ways to fuck up a good wine. But, I'm hoping my mind might be changed while I'm here, or I'll be even more excited about the marketing side of things.

Either way, I've now had almost a week in this wee little town, but still find myself discovering new places. My current home away from home is the Blenheim Library. My mom works at a library and I get to hear about all the crazies that come in. Well, mom, they're here too! During the past few days I've seen or heard the following:
  • Crazy man with tiny shorts talking to a puzzle box.
  • Crazy woman shout, "Shut up Charlie or I'll shoot ya!" (No one else seemed alarmed so I pretended not to be either).
  • Grown hippie man reading Nancy Drew.
  • Old man on motorized cart the size of a small car (I lost track of how many tables, chairs and people had to move for him to get around corners). I'm pretty sure this thing could go off-roading!
Alas, the Internet connection is free and relatively fast. Sometimes.
My new home is only a 15 minute walk to the center of town, which is great. I was the first of three people (two other English dudes will also be my roommates) to arrive so got the best bedroom:
This kitchen isn't too shabby either, and fully stocked with great kitchen gadgets, my favorite!

Also, check out the local coffee cart. Starbucks, eat your heart out!


Think I might have to head there later and get me another flat white! Until then, I'm hoping for some more library entertainment.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're having a great time! The coffee cart is adorable! Did you have a long black or a flat white?

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Photoshop Brushes Obsidian Dawn